Favorite Games of My Adulthood: Fallout 3


Side note: I'm really sorry it took so long for me to get this out. I'm lazy; sorry not sorry.

Bethesda has continuously been a great company in the gaming biz. They've brought us treasure troves like Skyrim, RAGE, and Dishonored but I know deep in my heart that the best creation Bethesda has is obviously Fallout 3. Now there will be people who are going to stomp their feet and yell because of how fantastic and "revolutionary" the Skyrim series has been, but I didn't get into the Elder Scrolls as much as I did Fallout. This brings my count of top five to my number four and here is exactly why this game earned it's spot in my heart.

Number 4: Fallout 3
Fallout - America's first choice in Post Nuclear Simulation. 

Fallout has been on everyone's radar since it was first released. I know I've heard Emalie go on and on about New Vegas when she first started playing it, and not to mention the following the franchise has as a whole. I played through the first two Fallouts and enjoyed them in general but I didn't enjoy them half as much as I did 3. Something about Fallout 3 just resinated with me. Be it the initial game play, the story line, or the love I have for decision based games, it really made a mark on me. Even to this day, I can still go back and play the game over and over, it never really gets old for me.



It's nothing I can really explain, it could be that I chose to play as a girl and the plot line follows as a daddy's girl, so in a way I felt I related and I just kind of lived out the life of my character in full effect. It could also be that this game is just ridiculously fun and a lot unlike games out there. It's really not your typical first person shooter. Since it is a Bethesda production, of course it has a lot of similar gameplay styling to Skyrim but is on a completely different level. In the process of customizing your character, you have dozens of options to completely shape the player and make it your own reality. Bethesda really goes into detail with their games to completely immerse you into this land that you want to make your own.



You, of course, have a lot of decision based aspects in the game and some of the choices in this game can really test the limits that you're willing to go to be reunited with your father. In most decision games, I always choose to be the good guy, at first, but after playing through the game a few times, I realized that playing the bad guy is a lot more fun, but mostly if you just want to get in constant shoot out battles which is always a good time. Not to mention that there are so many side-quests way beyond the plot to keep you going off gameplay for so long! Just what you'd expect from the brethren of Skyrim. Along those same lines, you can choose to upgrade certain skills about yourself such as speech, pick pocketing or thieving skills, explosives buff, all kinds of stuff. Again with the making your character exactly how you want them to be, there is endless customization to this game.



So, all in all, Fallout 3 was and still is one of my favorites. I don't think there will ever be a time that I don't want to go back and save Vault 101. The same goes for the rest of the games in my top favorites, it just nestled its way into my coveted top 5 and won't be moving out anytime soon.




Post a Comment