Bioshock Infinite: Would You Kindly Make A Second One? (SPOILERS)


As everyone pretty much knows, Bioshock is my favorite game franchise ever. This game has made me feel things for a video game, that I've never gotten before. Because of Bioshock, I literally strive everyday to try and become a somebody in the gaming world. Bioshock gave me the heart to actually want to go into the male-dominating world of video game creation and stand tall with the women that are already completely and totally successful in that field, so yes, you can say this will be a completely positive review on Irrational Games' new baby, and my new love, 'Bioshock Infinite'.


Irrational Games was, at first, the bane of my existence back in October. After the long awaited launch of Bioshock, I had been sitting back, looking at my calendar until the sixteenth (could've been later, I'm not sure at this point). That was one of the original set dates. Then I remember hearing a lot of commotion when I was in a GameStop and they were talking about Infinite. I chimed in as told them how excited I was for the game to come out soon and to my dismay, I was shut down. The so called GameStop geniuses looked at me like I was stupid and completely blocked out from the news and that I was insane for actually thinking that my beloved Irrational Games would put out what I'd hoped to be the best Bioshock yet, on time. With two more date changes, I was ready to throw away all hopes I'd had of ever getting my hands on Infinite. But thank the gaming Gods, the date was finally secured and locked in. 

March 26th at 9:00 AM, a package was at my door. I opened it up and tears welled in my eyes as I saw the gleaming plastic casing that held my sweet, premium edition Bioshock Infinite. I held it close to me that finally I was able to play as Booker Dewitt and actually understand what this game was about. I played with all of the little extras for a while and then popped the game in. It was glorious. The opening scene, or the "Press Start" clip I should say, made me cry. The music was already perfect, the graphics, just in the opening scene alone, were brilliant, and I was so ready to have my mind blown by the glory that was Columbia, and it did not disappoint.

From the beginning you're thrown into a familiar dark place. You, as Booker, are taken out to a dock where you're supposed to enter a light house to "get the girl and wipe away the debt" (don't forget that line, it's really important!) Inside the lighthouse, you're greeted by a dead body with a sack over it's head and thats how you know you're back in the world of Bioshock. You stumble upon this pod thing, kind of like when you enter Rapture for the first time, and all of the memories came flooding back. 

I won't give away too much about the game, but those avid gamers probably already knew that you enter the world of Columbia, a place so strewn with political and religious brainwashing and everyone is a devotee of the "Prophet" or Comstock. I think the political backing of the games is actually really interesting. It's a compete branch off of the founding fathers and how this land in the sky completely tore away from the "sodom below". It really adds a new element to the game as a whole. The same with religion; you get some of that from Bioshock 2, what with the whole following Lamb, but it's not nearly as prominent of a feature as it is in Bioshock Infinite. 



Another interesting aspect about the political problems are the anarchist group called the Vox Populi. Lead by Daisy Fitzroy, it's this band of rivals against the Prophet and his reign. They fight to protect the little people, but in the midst of their presence, you learn they're no better than the Prophet himself. It brings about the question of who actually is "the false Shepard"  and who we actually choose to follow in the end. The same goes for the choice aspect of the game. It's no mystery that I'm a fan of "choosing your own destiny" games and there wasn't that many big choices in this game. I've been poking around to see if there are any alternative endings like they had in Bishock 2, but everyone seems to say that there is only one, so with all the choices, you'd think there would be a different outcome. 



In this new world, you don't have Plasmids or Eve, you have Vigors and Salts. The controls are a bit off and it's nothing you can't just easily adjust to. They really did a good job separating the two worlds of Rapture and Columbia and one thing I loved about Infinite was that they still had small little treasures from Rapture. In one sequence, Elizabeth opens a tear to Rapture and Booker says "A city underwater? How stupid." The fact that IG can poke at their own game is so heart warming to me. 


None the less, I promise you the game didn't disappoint in the slightest. If there was one thing I would change, I would have just made the game longer. I felt like it was easier to play through, even on the harder levels, but nonetheless, it was still amazing. The one thing that was so heavily debated about this game was the ending. Just about every one of my friends that played the game all agreed that the ending was one of the most mind-boggling sequences in the history of games. I kind of predicted it coming when you get near the end, but all the same, it was all over the place and will definitely leave you wanting more. 

So I leave you with this, if there is going to be a Bioshock Infinite 2, what would you hope to see out of it? Any predictions?    

Post a Comment